Harry Clasper

Front Street, Whickham, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE16 4HF
Followers 13
These former council offices are in the heart of a village which became a Tyneside suburb. They were built in 1904 by the Carr-Ellison family which leased the building to the former Wickham Urban District Council. The premises are now named after the local boat-builder and oarsman Harry Clasper, who became a famous sportsman in Victorian times. Clasper was a pub landlord throughout his racing career and is buried in St Mary’s churchyard.